We’ve seen plenty of tutorials on two-factor authentication (2FA from now on) using the Authomator app but unfortunately this app has not been made available for the Q10 device for several months now.
Therefore I have made this short tutorial available for a cool new app which will give us our daily shot of security and peace of mind 🙂
The app is called Duo Mobile for BlackBerry 10 and is available to download on your device via BlackBerry World. The app is an Android port but functionality is not compromised in any way; I have used this app for about a month now and cannot fault it.
The app supports native Duo Security integration (I have my blog set-up this way) as well as standard 2FA tokens. For example, you can set-up tokens for Outlook.com (Hotmail), Dropbox, Amazon Web Services, Google and many more.
How to configure the app to accept a new token
- Download and open Duo Mobile on your BB10 device
- Tap the ‘add’ icon on the top right (the little key with +)
- Hit Other if you want to add a standard token (basically anything other than a Duo Security integration)
- Hit Scan Barcode if you are prompted to do so on the website you are trying to set-up on your phone. Alternatively, enter your account name and key – again, all of this information will be given to you on the website.
Example setting up Dropbox to use 2FA on your BB10
- Go to your account security page on Dropbox – https://www.dropbox.com/account#security
- Where it says Two-step verification hit Enable
- Follow the instructions and when you are prompted with the question ‘How would you like to receive your security codes?‘ hit Use a mobile app
- You will now be presented with a barcode to scan – launch the Duo Mobile app, tap the add icon, Other, then select Scan Barcode
- After you have scanned the barcode, you will be prompted with a token. Simply tap your account name on the app and enter the code in to Dropbox
- Done! A nice and easy process which gives you the peace of mind of added security on your online accounts
Leave your comments below 🙂