So you have a PlayBook device and wondering how you can further take advantage of its awesome hardware capability by downloading torrents directly on to the device storage.
In this article, I will show you how to very easily side-load a P2P app called ‘PlayTorrent’ and how you can use it to download/share content with friends/family/etc. Please see the disclaimer at the bottom of this article before you begin.
Side-loading the App
- Before you can side-load the application, you will need the Java Runtime Environment installed on your PC. You can find JRE here.
- Next, download the side-loading tools from here and extract them on your local machine. Credit goes to Hatax @ CrackBerry forums
- Enable developer mode on your PlayBook and make note of the password you use. You can find the developer mode setting in the: Options –> Security
- Next make note of the IPv4 address your PlayBook is assigned. You can find this from Options –> About –> Network
- Now go to where ever you extracted the PlayBook Tools.zip and edit the PB-Installer.bat file with your PlayBook’s IP and Password you assigned
- Now, on your PC, find the PlayTorrent.bar file (should be in the same directory)… drag it over the PB-Installer.bat and release.
- A command window should open and install the application
That is all! Give it a minute or two and your PlayBook should now be side-loaded with PlayTorrent! You should see it in the main applications screen.
Now that you have side-loaded the app, let us download some torrents on to our device!
- Download a .torrent file from the PlayBook browser
- Open PlayTorrent (tap the little help icon on the right if you are unsure about some of the action buttons at the top)
- The torrent should automatically load up in the app (cool feature from the developers)
- Press Start and you are ready to go!
Below are some screenshots of the download process: